The Plateau d’Hauteville ski resort

Waterfalls and castles in Plateau d’Hauteville

Waterfalls in Plateau d'Hauteville

  • bas-de-page

Charabotte waterfall

The Albarine, the main river in the Hauteville valley, takes its source in Brénod and descends from the Hauteville valley to the River Thiou through a waterfall known as the “Charabotte”. This waterfall passes through 3 falls, 60, 40 and 15 metres high.

About 4 km from Hauteville-Lompnes on the road to Tenay

Mélogne waterfall

Downstream from the Trou de la Marmite, and through a series of waterfalls, the Mélogne stream flows towards Le Marais. It runs alongside several ruined “windmills”, which were actually small sawmills. After the hamlet of Mélogne, the stream pours down into a delightful waterfall, then winds its way down into a deep and narrow fault. The remains of structures made from cut stone show that work was carried out here using the driving force of the water.

> On entering Cormaranche-en-Bugey from Hauteville-Lompnes, turn right onto the path after the bridge. Go down and take the path (open access)


  • bas-de-page

Angeville Castle

We no longer know when this castle was built on a hill overlooking Lompnes. It was designed to watch over all the County of Savoy, with its western limit combined with the diocese of Geneva.

Lompnes Castle was originally owned by the Dukes of Savoy. In the12th century, it became the property of the lords of Beaujeu following a marriage. Through the centuries, ownership changed hands several times. In 1912, when the health resort was booming, a hotel-owner from Vichy bought the castle. During the First World War, it was requisitioned and, in 1917, the French Red Cross turned it into a sanatorium. Since 1970, it has been a rehabilitation and physical medicine centre.

> Due to its role as a medical centre, the castle is not open to visitors. But you can still go to the terrace, with a square pool and a fountain between the courtyard and the terrace. The pool and the fountain take their water from the Etang d’Angeville.


Chateau de Champdor

The château has 14 rooms and was completed in 1743. Since then it has preserved all its original prestige and charm.

A family still lived here until recently. Since 1995, it has been owned by the municipality. The tower was added in 1851. It gives the building an original appearance and even a sense of fun with the wall walk around the first floor. The observatory at the top of the building provides an exceptional panorama over all the region. The château façade has remained intact with facing of white Champdor stone. The quality of this stone is recognised all over the world. The château stands in a 16,000 m2 park and is encircled by a solid stone wall. The château opens onto the west with a wide avenue lined with centuries-old trees, inviting visitors to a contemplative experience. To the east, the château is well guarded by tall and elegant wrought-iron railings, helping to maintain a clear view of the main entrance. On the same side are the outbuildings and stables, and further off, a communal oven. The château has a dovecot in quite traditional style. Interestingly, it was authorised by a royal privilege. Near the northern side of the tower is a meridian showing noon time.

> The Château is not open for visits. A painting-sculpture exhibition is held here every year in July and August

To find a way

Share on